The inclusion of low cholesterol foods can be a real benefit to help control dieabetes. Rather than listing only foods low in cholesterol and leaving out the undesirable ones, why don’t you come up with a list of all the foods you enjoy eating, in a hierarchy? This way you are not truly leaving the “sinful” food choices, and feel deprived too. This approach on how to control cholesterol can be adapted by patients who are having a hard time sticking to strictly outlined diet plans. Below is an example of a low cholesterol food list:
1. No Cholesterol Foods – Plant derived foods are virtually cholesterol free. Some could contain certain levels of oil and pack on calories, but oils coming from plant foods are healthy while high calorie fruits and vegetables are relatively filling. This should be your base list, where you will be taking the majority of you food intake. Try to come up with creative and delicious low cholesterol recipes from the list:
a. Fruits – Avocadoes, Oranges, Pineapples, Peaches, Nectarines, Mangoes, Melons, all Berries and Grapes and, importantly, Bananas
b. Vegetables – Spinach, Broccoli, Carrots, Mushrooms, Corn, Turnips, Olives, Tomatoes, Onions, Peppers, Cucumbers, Lettuce, Squash, Kale, Cauliflower and Cabbage.
c. Legumes, Peas and Beans of all types – Lima, Pinto, Borlotti, Kidney Beans, White, Split, Black Eyed, Mung, Chickpeas, Seri, Lentils and Soy.
d. Spices, Herbs and other seasonings – Chilli, peppers, garlic, vanilla, basil, cloves, chives, sage, dill and rosemary.
e. Grains and Cereal – Bran, oats, barley, rice, bulgur, quinoa and whole wheat.
2. Cholesterol Lowering Foods – This is a special food group because they actually reverse the cholesterol count in the body. This is one of the most effective ways on how to lower cholesterol naturally. Except for the oily nuts and olive, consumption in this food group is unrestricted.
– Apples, all nuts, garlic, fish, brown rice, olive oil, oatmeal, cinnamon and soybeans.
3. Healthy Foods with Considerable Cholesterol Content – These are relatively healthy foods but are heavy on cholesterol. Limit consumption to two or three servings a week. You can also opt to find healthier substitutes for some of them.
– Cheese, lean red meat, poultry meat, bitter chocolates, eggs, milk, yogurt and potatoes.
4. Cheat Foods – This list should be the shortest. Limit your entries to those that you foods that you consider your frivolous indulgence.
– Seafood, Devil’s Food Cake, Ice cream, ham and bacon, liver pate
Take note that this diet is designed for a relatively healthy and active individual who wants to find a way on how to lower cholesterol naturally and might not be applicable to all. Always consult with your doctor and a professional dietician on coming up with your low cholesterol food list together with the allowable cheat foods. Make sure that you discuss with them your goal and your present health condition. These are important factors in designing a diet for you.
Indulging on your favourite unhealthy food once in a while is acceptable as long as you can compensate it by being extra active and by eating more healthy foods from your low cholesterol food list.